Welcome to Recovery Roundup #44

This time we look at progress with the Alma Road village, as well as an update on essential infrastructure repairs. Don’t forget there is still time to fill out our wellness survey too 😊

Alma Road update

The first residents will be able to move into the Alma Road village by the end of November.

Alma Road village is being built by Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) to support residents in Westport following the flooding event in July 2021. You can read more on the latest developments here.

Temporary Accommodation Service support is still available for the Community

MBIE’s Temporary Accommodation Service (TAS) is still receiving new registrations for support in Westport from eligible families. A homeowner or tenant whose primary place of accommodation was damaged in the July 2021 flooding or flooding events are eligible to register. If you have current or future need for temporary accommodation and want to understand more about the village and how it all works, contact TAS.

TAS will be at the Community Hub Monday 10 to Wednesday 12 October 2022

The TAS Matching and Placement team will be working with the Community Navigators at the Community Hub in Westport to answer questions on the following dates and times:

  • Monday 10 October 12pm-4pm
  • Tuesday 11 October 9.30am-4pm
  • Wednesday 12 October 9.30am-12pm

To book an appointment with the Matching and Placement team on the above dates call the Community Navigation Service based at the Hub for advice or call the Hub on 0800 768 348.

If people are unsure of their eligibility or would prefer to speak to someone about their options, they can call the Matching and Placement team on 0508 754 163. or register online www.tas.mbie.govt.nz/west-coast-flooding/






Community Hub extension

In case you missed it, the decision has been made for Flood Recovery Community Hub to continue until the end of January 2023.

The Hub at 175 Palmerston Street, Westport is there to provide a listening ear and help inform flood-affected people about available supports.

For example, we’re hearing about people with frustrations over their repairs and rebuilds. You’re right in thinking that the Hub staff aren’t registered builders, but they can put you in touch with the Residential Advisory Service (RAS) (advisory.org.nz) that helps with rebuild as well as insurance issues.

The Hub has adapted to the changing need of the community since it was set up last August. A smaller team of navigators will now focus on community connection, social events and hub management as well as client support. Homebuilders West Coast will take over the management contract from Poutini Waiora, supported by four FTE navigators from Buller REAP and Te Ha O Kawatiri.







Wellness survey

There’s still time to tell us how you are going.

The Buller Flood Recovery team’s wellness survey closes on the 23rd of October so there’s still time to get on that keyboard or drop into the Hub and share your views.

We need you – the results of this survey will help identify needs in our community and guide key decision making. If you’re one of the stragglers out there (and yes, we mean you young men aged 15 to 29) then get on board, it’s not that hard (and there are cash prizes to be won).

You will find the survey on our home page: bullerrecovery.org.nz








Infrastructure update

We’ve previously brought you an update on the 3 Waters repairs as part of the $17 million work programme of repairs to essential infrastructure, funded by Central Government.

Three Waters was 90 percent complete at that point (end of August 2022), so this update covers the status of the remaining 10 percent of that work programme as well as betterment planning, activity at the wharf and an update on the timing of Tiphead repairs.

You can find out more on our special page for Essential Infrastructure updates.








A crucial part of the wharf repair project is understanding ground conditions so that the repair design is appropriate. A specialised drilling rig recently drilled three 20-metre-deep holes along the length of the damaged wharf and tested ground conditions at regular (1m) intervals.

How could we end the week without celebrating a small moment of larger-than-life disco madness coming to town?

Bright, bubbly, outrageous and larger than life – disco-loving drag queens Lady Bubbles and Miss Shaniqwa had locals rolling in the aisles last Saturday night at the AbFab show in Westport.

Around 200 turned up for the event at NBS Theatre, which was supported by Buller Flood Recovery, which is promoting a range of ways for the community to connect and have fun together.

They say laughter is the best medicine and we suspect a serious dose was dished out that night.








The show was organised by volunteers Shayne Barry, Julie Moore, Lara Hall, and Kim Ashby, pictured above with Lady Bubbles and Miss Shaniqwa.